Your daily routine, when it comes to choosing foods, can either build up resistance to disease or tear it down, according to Ayurvedic philosophy. Therefore, the way you start your day is extremely important. A simple and healthy drink you should consume right when you wake up is warm water and the juice of half a lemon, and here’s why:
1. Boosts the immune system – lemons are high in vitamin C and potassium, which can fight off colds, stimulate brain and nerve function and even control blood pressure.
2. Balances pH – although acidic on their own, inside our bodies they are actually alkaline, which is a state our bodies should be in, for good health
3. Helps with weight loss – people with an alkaline diet tend to lose weight faster
4. Aids in digestion – lemons can loosen toxins in the digestive tract and can help aide in keeping things moving in the digestive tract.
5. Acts as a diuretic – increases the rate of urination in the body which flushes out unwanted materials
6. Improves skin – Vitamin C has been found to help with the appearance of wrinkles and can remove toxins from the blood, which can clear the skin.
7. Keeps us hydrated – many of us are chronically dehydrated. Dehydration causes a build up of toxins causing increased stress on the body, constipation and weight gain to name a few side effects.
Start your day off right with warm water and half a lemon!